Every company needs a marketing plan. From the smallest one-man, self employed to the largest of large corporations, businesses all have in common marketing their product or service. With the amount of information on the internet today, a small company can feel lost on where to begin with online Search Engine Marketing (SEM). Search engines, like Google and Bing, have made attracting visitors to websites a full blown industry. Marketing agencies spend a lot of time and money keeping up with search engine algorithm changes then formulating marketing plans to best implement the changes, keeping their client’s websites relevant to product/service searches.
Craigslist is one of the least utilized SEM tools out there when it comes to buying/selling heavy equipment. When it comes to our industry, this website is mostly used by local individuals and small businesses that have less than 10 machines for sale per year. They forget it is worldwide with services in every major city around the globe.
Some guys keep their ads local for concerns about transporting a machine a few hundred miles to a buyer and not wanting the responsibility or expense of a long haul round trip. If marketing beyond the local reach, long distant buyers will realize responsibility for transporting the machine to their location, taking pressure off the seller. Don’t worry, if a buyer wants your machine, he will work with you.
Listing heavy equipment on Craigslist has some unique advantages to other listing/classified sites.
· To begin, it allows up to 24 images uploaded to one post. I recommend only using four, left and right profiles, two from opposite corners. If a buyer wants more pictures, this is the time to start a conversation, build a relationship, offer to email additional pictures/images, and then follow up.
· Sellers can include the exact location of the machine for sale, via Google Maps, assisting the buyer with transportation arrangements.
· Have other machines for sale? Post links to other ads by the same account owner. Brilliant! A buyer clicks on one ad, sees links to other machines for sale, maximum exposure
· Posting’s are “out-of-the-box” search engine friendly. List the post title with make, model, sub-model and type of machine. Example: CATERPILLAR D6R LGP Excavator. This title optimizes the post, increasing chances of first page list on search engine results. It’s called Search Engine Optimization (SEO).
· WORLDWIDE! Advertisers can list anything for sale, in any major city, anywhere in the world! That is powerful. The disadvantage is having your English ad translated into language of target location.
· It does allow hyper-linked backlinks within posts (you know the blue text, when clicked, it takes you directly to a website). This action translates into visitors/traffic to your company’s website.
· Did I mention it’s FREE!
When it comes to online marketing, the best place to start is with something easy and free. Even experienced online marketers know the secret power of Craigslist. It is a widely recognized site drawing HUGE daily traffic of visitors looking for everything under the sun. Hopefully these tips will help get you started attracting a few of these visitors looking to start a relationship and buy your heavy equipment.
Source by Sean Kimbrough